Communication and Public Relations officer
Application Deadline: 30th of January 2021,
Possible start date: 1th of March 2021,
Duration: 2+ years,
Appointment type: 3 days per week
Job location: Agro Business Park 10, Wageningen
Bruto monthly salary: €2.120 gross per month (with possible bonuses)
Job type: communication and multimedia officer
Fields: research communication, public relations, social media, design, data science
Employer: OpenGeoHub Foundation
OpenGeoHub (Stichting OpenGeoHub) is a not-for-profit research foundation with headquarters in Wageningen, the Netherlands. We aim to provide world-class data and expertise in geo-data science; producing global and regional spatial predictions of soil, vegetation and climate. We regularly use High Performance Computing and specialise in optimization and state-of-the-art Machine Learning. Clients include: European Commission, UNCCD, Woodwell Climate Research, The Nature Conservancy, Conservation International, and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Our core philosophy is outlined in this document (see also our Medium article on OpenLandMap.org).
OpenGeoHub foundation is looking for an experienced communication officer, with a background in Research Communications, Public Relations and event management, to help with preparing necessary presentation materials for public releases, meetings, workshops and hackathons, primarily for the purpose of the MOOD project (MOnitoring Outbreak events for Disease surveillance in a data science context). The candidate would help with developing and executing marketing and public relations campaigns, and social media management, identifying target audiences and execute strategies to engage audience(s), developing and disseminating public relations materials that increase foundation’s visibility among stakeholders and lawmakers, building and maintain relationships with journalists, bloggers, investors and customer audiences that will help advance foundation’s work, and assisting with organizing events (training sessions, conferences and workshops). The candidate should also be able to switch thematic focus quickly across a range of projects and geographies, and individual partnership cultures.
You would work on data science themes within the OpenGeoHub's current and future European Commission projects including "MOOD: MOnitoring Outbreak events for Disease surveillance in a data science context" (2020–2023) and "Geo-Harmonizer: EU-wide automated mapping system for harmonization of Open Data based on FOSS4G and Machine Learning" (2019–2022).
- You have a MSc degree or equivalent experience / background in Research Communications,
- You have background and experience with environmental and/or health research,
- You have strong writing and editorial skills (for our increasing use of Medium-like, The Conversation-like articles and outputs) including ability to transform dense technical knowledge into accessible narratives for a range of audiences,
- You have a strong background in social and commercial media services (Twitter, Medium) and organizational branding/identity building,
- You are able to prepare public releases, media campaigns, newsletters (post content on websites and/or via MailChimp) and similar,
- You have experience with preparing workshops, discussion panels, and media campaigns,
- You have experience with collaborative communications strategies and working with a diverse range of external partners and stakeholders across the public and private sectors,
- You are familiar with the Content Management Systems (CMS) especially WordPress and Drupal,
- You have experience with working in international and multicultural teams,
- You are open to collaborating with the OpenGeoHub Communication and Multimedia staff on bigger visions for communication partnerships and communications strategies,
- You are fluent in English,
- C1 in French would be considered an advantage,
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Applications, including (1) a CV, (2) a statement of your interest and vision, and (3) self-assessment based on the minimum requirements, should be uploaded via this link. Read more about the general submission procedure.
We offer a full time position for 2+ years, with possible extension, within a very stimulating international innovation and research environment. You will work in a dynamic work environment with enthusiastic colleagues usually from a variety of countries.
- Salary up to: €3.530 gross per month (pro-rata for a 3-day a week position i.e. €2.120 gross) with possible bonuses;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary;
- 29 holidays per year (pro rata);
- Professional and personal development programs;
We strongly encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with other colleagues. Flexi-hours and part-time remote working is also possible.