At OpenGeoHub, Alexander supports OpenGeoHub’s public relation, communication and business development activities. Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- installing and maintaining websites, social media accounts and discussion, and communication platforms,
- communicating and representing OpenGeoHub and other affiliated businesses with Dutch and EU institutions,
- helping with the organization of events including OpenGeoHub summer schools, hackathons and workshops,
- managing and producing video materials, image artwork, adding and maintaining web-content either directly, through other staff or through sub-contractors.
Alex has a background in journalism, applied GIS, as well as in international security and conflict resolution. At OpenGeoHub, Alex is a communication and multimedia officer, currently working remotely from Singapore. Besides the abovementioned tasks, his function includes communicating and representing OpenGeoHub with Dutch and EU institutions, helping with the organization of events including OpenGeoHub summer schools, hackathons, and workshops, but also managing and producing video materials and web content.
- 2020–present: Communication and multimedia officer OpenGeoHub Foundation,
- 2019–present: Communications and knowledge management fellow, Jacaranda Health, Kenya and remote,
- 2018–present: Curator, Medium, worldwide,
- 2017–2020: Communications associate, Milken Insitute, Singapore, London, Santa Monica,
- 2016–2017: Associate editor, Discors News, California and Germany,
- 2015–2016: Marketing and social media manager, U.S. China Clean Tech Center, California,
- 2015: Communication assistant, USC Annenberg Innovation Lab, California,
- 2013–2015: Online editor, Neon Tommy, California,
- 2014: Online writer, Yahoo Sports, California,
- 2012: Writer and event coordinator, Joan B. Kroc Insitute for Peace and Justice NGO, California,
- 2011–2012: Executive assistant, Citizens Climate Lobby NGO, California.